March 19, 2012

la quaintrelle

I recently discovered a little online store based out in the east coast (Nova Scotia to be exact), and fell in love with some of the sweet styles in the shop (they also have a physical store in Nova Scotia). I did an interview with owner Meghan Finney, in order to learn more about this delightful Canadian shop (visit here).

 Shop Proprietress, Meghan

What does La Quaintrelle mean?
A quaintrelle is defined as “a woman who emphasizes a life of passion expressed through personal style, leisurely pastimes, charm, and cultivation of life’s pleasures.” The best thing about a “quaintrelle” is that any woman is able to be one. I believe that creating personal style is much more important, and true to one’s self, than attempting to, perhaps, conform to a latest trend, magazine spread, or what’s on a big-box mannequin.
La Quaintrelle focuses on this idea of personal style, and each item is hand-picked so that they are unique in design and have some feature that is “enchanting”, whether it’s the fabric, buttons or belt detail. They’re chosen this way because I believe each and every one that’s selected is a something that helps someone better express who they are and feel comfortable while doing so. It’s very interesting, and fulfilling, to see people of very different backgrounds, sizes, tastes and ages come into the shop and find something they love and that speaks to them.


How did La Quaintrelle begin? What was your inspiration?
The idea of La Quaintrelle came to fruition from my own difficulty in finding clothes that I really liked and wanted to wear. I was often unable to find anything at a mall or outlet store that I felt fit my personal style, and I soon began looking elsewhere – online, family closets, and vintage stores – for pieces to incorporate into my wardrobe. I soon realized that this was an opportunity. It was an opportunity to help others with the same problem and to infuse something new and different into the local market. 
 
What’s your favourite fashion era?
My favourite era lies between the late 40s, into the 50s. I like the 40s’ structure in coats, suits and blouses, but I also love the fun and flirty that came in the 50s in skirts and dresses.

What are your goals for your shop/what would you like to see happen in the next few years?
2012 has been pretty exciting so far! I’m excited every day, of course, to watch the business grow. I am working with a few brides-to-be on their weddings in 2012. I will also be partnering with a few local businesses for several events this spring. A line expansion may also be in store for La Quaintrelle in 2012.
On top of La Quaintrelle, I work full-time in public relations. I also love living an active lifestyle and find myself training for various running races. I’m looking at completing my first marathon in Fall 2012! When I layer on quality time spent with family, friends and my boyfriend, the hours tick away pretty quickly! I tend to pile a lot on the plate, but luckily, it hasn’t toppled over yet. :)
Of course, my biggest dream is to have the shop grow and grow and grow. It has already expanded much faster than anticipated, but if I could eventually work La Quaintrelle full time it would be lovely! I say bring it on. :)
What is a go-to piece that you think every girl should have in her closet?
A pop of red – red shoes, red leather gloves, red lipstick – whatever you please! (though not all at the same time)  Red is always in style, and you can instantly, and effortlessly, turn an ordinary outfit fun with just a slight hint of bright red! Plus, I think it gives you a extra boost of confidence - and sass. :)

How do you select items for your shop (what is your process etc)?
La Quaintrelle focuses on this idea of personal style, and each item is hand-picked so that they are unique in design and have some feature that is “enchanting”, whether it’s the fabric, buttons or belt detail. They’re chosen this way because I believe each and every one that’s selected is a something that helps someone better express who they are and feel comfortable while doing so. It’s very interesting, and fulfilling, to see people of very different backgrounds, sizes, tastes and ages come into the shop and find something they love and that speaks to them.



Are there any spring trends that you love/are going to incorporate in your shop?
There’s a wide range of influences in our upcoming pieces – from gardens, cottage, natural history, handmade, and designer vintage. Keeping in mind our focus on personal style, rather than fashion, we’re taking these themes and incorporating them into what our customers love to see. Lately, we’ve introduced longer lengths and conservative chic.

 ___________________________


 Thanks so much for Meghan, for sharing a bit about your adorable little shop! I'm excited to see it grow! 

And from now until April 19th, you can receive a 15% discount with the following link: http://www.laquaintrelle.ca/?code=delicious

Make sure to visit the online store at www.laquaintrelle.ca and to like the shop on their facebook page here!

1 comment: