January 29, 2011

Rag rug project

I've embarked a new project of making a rag rug. This is my first time making one ever. I had to do a bit of research to find out how to make one that wasn't too complicated and was easy to learn. I found a tutorial online that explains how to make a rag rug entirely out of knots. No sewing needed, which cuts down on steps and materials. Here is my progress so far. My rug is only a few inches in diameter right now, but once I got the hang of it, its been coming along fairly quickly. It's nice to be using my hands again and making something unique. I will keep you all posted on the progress, but since this is my first one, please bear with me. I'm sure its not going to be the most attractive rug, and I'm hoping not to get frustrated and give up on it.

I'm using old vintage sheets, one dark blue and the other a beautiful floral.

Cutting out strips! Tedious.

Progress so far. It's a little messy, but it seems to look nicer the bigger it becomes.

2 comments:

  1. That is exactly how it goes! Try to keep the turns as flat as possible by turning them slightly with your hand as you stitch. This will be very cozy looking when it is finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic Laura! I love the colours you choose, they are VERY you!
    Can you post the link to the tutorial you used please!

    ReplyDelete